Pastor David W. Schweppe -

MARCH 2016 - NO TURNING BACK

Categories

Monthly Article
powered by

My Blog

THE CHOICE

There are moments, events, in our lives that shape us, that define us. In those moments God provides the opportunity for us to put thoughts or words into practice and action. Such a moment came for me in the first months of 2010.

2009 was the year of the vote. In August 2009, the ELCA churchwide assembly voted on the sexuality statement which allowed a member of a same-sex couple to be a pastor of a congregation. This decision sent shockwaves throughout the ELCA and throughout our synod in particular.

At the time, Lynne, Jacob and I were members at St. Paul, Sterling. It seemed St. Paul would be get through the tsunami by having two information meetings in the fall. But then, a week or so after the talks, a petition to leave the ELCA surfaced at church. By Christmas 2009, that petition had enough support to invite a vote.

What I saw happen over January and February 2010 was disheartening. I saw a congregation tear itself apart. I witnessed people who said they were Christian ramping up tension and anger within a congregation all in the name of righteous indignation. Letters and postcards were sent out encouraging active and inactive alike to come out and vote. The congregation quickly fractured into an us vs. them situation.

So how would I vote? I could see both sides, but needed to make decision. What was the right thing to do? Two principles shaped my decision that day. Jesus says, “A new commandment I give to you: love one another as I have loved you.” This command supersedes all other commands in my book. And how did Jesus love? Who did Jesus love? That commandment is my first principle. My second principle flows from Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians. He writes that the Church is called into the ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor 5) - bringing people together in the name of God’s peace, God’s Shalom. So which side fostered God’s Spirit of peace and reconciliation? That day, my vote was a vote, not for a social issue, but for the side which fostered that Spirit, the Spirit which promotes peace and reconciliation. And that day, St. Paul stayed in the ELCA… by one vote.

There are moments in our lives that shape us and that define us. In those moments God speaks through his Spirit to give us counsel and direction. Such a moment came for me in the first months of 2010....

Questions: So what are the moments that have shaped your life? How was God involved? What are the basic principles you hold? Are you willing to stand up for something even though the majority believe otherwise? Have you ever “walked to the beat of a different drummer?” In the end, was it worth going against the group? Why or why not?

11 Comments to THE CHOICE:

Comments RSS
12312 on Monday, October 08, 2018 5:45 AM
32132
Reply to comment

paper writing service on Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:58 AM
Surely, we are using development wherever in the urban territories as we use mobile phones generally without fizzle. We use lift rather stairways to go up or down. It's all occasion by virtue of development. This is an amazing article since you have shared few to a great degree fundamental information about the advancement.
Reply to comment

buy essays online on Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:01 AM
We always have a choice. We should keep that in mind, right?
Reply to comment

celebrities jackets on Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:56 AM
I sure do like to agree with the things you talking about in this post that is all concern about brown. It has been the only thing which has been drawing the attention of every person reading about brown.
Reply to comment

Do My Essay on Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:14 AM
I am looking at purchasing a boat and am really new to this. My family has forever owned a boat and now that I am starting my own family, I want to keep the tradition alive. What do I require to register? What laws do I need to know about BUYING a boat, trailer, and motor? What regarding permits?
Reply to comment

write my essay on Friday, April 19, 2019 2:45 AM
I really happy found this website eventually. Really informative and inoperative, Thanks for the post and effort! Please keep sharing more such blog. Now I saved it to my bookmarks so that I can keep me in touch with you.
Reply to comment

Metropark Car Service on Monday, April 22, 2019 7:57 AM
I found this blog. Much appreciation to you for offering to us, I, everything considered, find some new data from your post. to a cerebrum boggling degree satisfying and I to an amazing degree like your article a commitment of Thankfulness is everything
Reply to comment

golf clash best clubs to upgrade on Friday, May 10, 2019 1:35 AM
it still has some great bonuses that can give you the important benefits you might need in some tournaments!
Reply to comment

hollywood jacket on Friday, May 10, 2019 8:30 PM
From this blog we can get better college base method and educational system I like to read this blog this is very interesting and informative. If you are a teacher or a student you really need to have read this blog so you get amazing information and new method of studies.
Reply to comment

Blade Runner 2049 Coat on Friday, May 17, 2019 3:59 PM
Well, it feels awesome that you are planning to do that, We are also following your pattern, all you need is to just check out our blog and tell others about our network, I am sure you would be like it a lot, thanks a lot for your nice articles and amazing work.
Reply to comment

Roblox cheat codes on Monday, July 01, 2019 1:40 AM
Roblox is a massively multiplayer online and game creation system platform that allows users to design their own games
Reply to comment